Monday, October 13, 2014

Math Night Success

I had a great turn out last week!  My parents were very interested in what I had to say.  Their concerns were very valid and (I think) I was able to answer all questions that they had.  We discussed why it is important to understand the "whys" of math, not just the steps involved in the process.  One question was, "What do you feel is the most important thing we need to work on at home to help them?"  In an attempt to not overwhelm them all, I tried to think of the top things that students seem to struggle with but will be the most beneficial for them in class and at home.  My answer, "Knowing their multiplication facts, and being able to understand place value."  We looked at the difference between knowing that the 3 in 374 is in the hundreds place to being able to say that the 3 represents 300.  So many times my students come to me thinking that a number like 374 is made of a 3, 7, and a 4 when really it is 300, 70, and 4.  I was quick to also remind parents that they can access our "Show Me" videos on the class webpage for more support at home and "how to's" on some concepts.

The second part of our hour together (AFTER scaring them with fractions), we looked at some projects the kids have been working on and Google Classroom! YES! Google Classroom! I love the sound of those words together! :) I showed them what to look for in their child's Google Drive and how the kids complete/turn in assignments through Classroom.  They were excited to see that we have been doing so much with technology and several even said their child has shown them some of these things at home.  This made my heart smile! :) I love when students take their learning home with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment